Preparing Your Boat for Winter Storage: Tips and Guidelines
As the warm weather bids farewell until next year, it’s time to bid adieu to your beloved boat for the winter season. While it’s a bittersweet moment, the good news is that you’ll be back on the water in no time. To ensure your boat remains in excellent condition during its winter hibernation, here’s how to properly winterize and store it:
Your boat is a finely tuned machine, a work of art in its own right. To avoid unexpected expenses and ensure it’s ready for action when the seasons change, it’s crucial to safeguard it during winter storage. Surprisingly, the main threat to your boat in storage is water. Freezing temperatures can lead to severe damage, and stagnant water can foster mold, mildew, and corrosion. To effectively winterize your boat, consult your boat and engine user manuals and follow these essential steps:
- Thoroughly flush and drain all water from the engine.
- Apply corrosion protection as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Use fogging oil according to the recommended guidelines.
- Add a fuel stabilizing agent to the fuel system and run the engine for a few minutes.
- Replace the fuel filters and any fuel/water separators.
- Drain all freshwater plumbing systems on your boat, including sinks, tanks, and heads.
- Introduce antifreeze into the plumbing systems.
- Ensure the removal of water from additional systems like raw water washdowns, livewells, and the bilge pump.
- Don’t forget to remove drain plugs.
- Pressure wash the hull and remove barnacles from all surfaces.
- Clean the thru-hulls and strainers meticulously.
- Open seacocks to facilitate water drainage.
- Inspect the hull for blisters and note any that require attention.
- Give the hull a thorough waxing.
- Ensure the batteries are fully charged and all power switches are turned off.
Choosing the Right Storage
While Arkansas winters tend to be relatively mild, it’s advisable to store your boat indoors whenever possible. Indoor storage shields your vessel from the elements and prevents curious critters from making it their winter residence. At Chenal-10 Storage, we offer ample storage space for boats of various sizes (excluding yachts). Whether you prefer a climate-controlled unit or outdoor storage, we have the ideal solution to meet your needs.
Don’t leave your cherished boat exposed to the winter elements. Contact us online or call us at 501-404-2627 to explore how we can assist you in safeguarding your valuable asset during the winter months.